Sunday

Day One: New York, I Love You

Saturday, February 27th:

The second I got off the plane, I was in love. The weather, the lights, the super nice cab driver. There was snow piled at least a foot high on either side of the road and blanketed parked cars. We checked into the Ramada Queens and went exploring. We hopped on the F train at 169th St and got off on Roosevelt without a plan. We walked and walked and ended up on 34th St, the only miracle being we had managed to stay warm.

Starving and tired, we stopped at Latin Cabana on Steinway and I had the best veggie burger ever; homemade patty on bolillos bread. Seriously. Best ever. Next we walked to Sunswick in Astoria and had a glass of Lagunitas' Hairy Eyeball while being serenaded (horribly) by a Top 40 lover with an acoustic. The bartender cut him off by playing Closing Time. It was time to head back to the hotel.

We then realized we had absolutely no grasp of the New York subway system, or rather how easy it was to get lost. Two hours and five trains later, I find myself smitten. The people, the sounds, the streets leading everywhere I want to be.

This week will change my life. I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment